The name of Peteni (Székelypetőfalva) was first mentioned in written documents in 1567, at this time it had already had some gates. Later on it became the settlement of the Mikes-estate’s serfs. There is no written document of its medieval church, but it is known that until 1711 the sacrisity of the present church served as a church.
The present-day church was built in honour of Saint Francis of Assissi in 1711. The altar-piece, representing Saint Francis, was made in 1762. In 1823 the church was renovated, and in 1825 a tower was built to it. In the same year the organ-loft was built; the organ was made in the workshop of Kolonics István from Târgu Secuiesc, and it is said that the craftsman made the instrument in 1891, soon before his death. There are two bells in the church tower: the bigger bell was cast in honour of the church’s patron, the smaller one was cast in honour of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary.
The settlement lies in the area where the structural fault line which links the Ciomatu (Csomád) Mountains with the elbow of the Eastern Carpathians is. Along this fault line a lot of carbon-dioxide comes to the surface on the territory of the village, which helps the formation of the carbonated mineral waters.
Peteni is famous for its mineral waters, the healing power of which has been known for centuries. Fortyogófürdő (Bubbling Spa) has been very popular since the 1800s; visitors with rheumatic problems have come here not just from the region, but from far away as well.
According to the old the sparkling water acted as a panacea to the rheumatic problems. For decades the spa lived only in the memories of the people, but in 2008 the community, the self-government of the village, the twin settlement, the local businessmen and the tourist experts united to make the spa function again. Two oak framed swimming pools were built: a bigger one (4m x 4m) and a smaller one (2m x 3m) for children.
The folk spa was enriched with elements of the Swedish and Finnish spa culture, namely an 8-10 – seat sauna with wood-burning heater and a dressing-room. On the walls of the building detailed information can be read about the healing powers of the spa’s water and about the history of the village.